Monday, June 18, 2012

Gwlad

Friday saw the second running of the city mile along a flat Barangaroo out-and-back course. Last year the course was definitely short and this had been addressed with a little loopy bit at the turnaround and was also reflected in the slower times. I was a bit scared about my speed going into this one and although I was trying to beat the boys the main goal was to defend the team title we won last year for the HuRTS trophy cabinet.

The start was fast but not crazy and I was feeling pretty good early up near the leaders but by half way a couple of younger guys took off and I started to fall of the back of Tom. Tom went on to narrowly miss 3rd place and finish 4th, Bartlett ran hard early and hung on for 5th, I staggered home in 6th just ahead of Aussie mile record holder Lisa Corrigan and 4th HuRTS man Binfield. My time was 4:43, pretty average but we won the team event and celebrated with too many beers. It's amazing how painful a short event like that is, I even had "lactic forearms" at the end which is weird, not sure what that's about but I guess the pain has to go somewhere.

Saturday saw trip to Melbourne to watch the Aus v Wales rugby match and Meinir sing the Welsh national anthem. Big moment for her, bit of a dream job really so she was a bit nervous. A group of us went down to watch, great singing, great game.
Full game here, singing starts at 8:00


Meinir in action
Had a short run when I got home from Melbourne but  need to really start getting back into serious training again.

No comments:

Post a Comment